Member avatar
Member avatar
Member avatar
Member avatar
Member avatar

Group Admins

IS IT BY FORCE TO WRITE?

Public Group active 6 hours, 54 minutes ago

Is that case of writer’s block getting you down? Do you find yourself constantly abandoning those oh-so-brilliant writing projects halfway? Are you getting fed up with how difficult it is to get your work published?

Well, whatever those writing issues are, this group is here to address them so feel free to air them out. We will not just be each others shoulders to lean - or cry - on, but also a source of encouragement and help to each other. So if you have a writing problem that has refused to go away, or if you think you can be of help to other writers, then you are very welcome.

deleted

COMMON MISTAKES WRITERS MAKE (1259 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image Uche said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

So I know different writers have different ways they practise their craft, but are there things that we would all agree are mistakes? Let’s find out.

No 1:

Waiting for inspiration (every time).

I know that inspiration is a very important factor in the creative process, but I also believe that there are times when a writer just has to sit at his or her desk (or wherever it is they usually write) and churn something up, and this has a lot to do with discipline, establishing a routine and following it.

Who agrees with me?

• Jaywriter said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Think you are right. But nothing works as best as when inspired.

• Lade said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

There was a time i kept saying i was waiting for inspiration and didnt write for a long time. My brother then gave me an advice that i have kept since then. He said - ‘you have to turn the tap to get the water to flow’.
    Sometimes, we just have to start something to kick-start the flow of inspiration. And you know what, it works! I have tried and tested it and it has stood the test countless times

• Jaywriter said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Lade, I’ve written when I’m inspired and when I’m not. Yea, we can always write both times, but you know which flows better. I’d say, know how to turn on the tap so inspiration can flow. People ought to know what inspires them and learn to go for it when it fails to visit them on their own.

• Avatar Image treasured1 said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

As I’ve tried in many ways, following a laid out pattern helps in more ways than not. I write daily and I’ve discovered that if you have a guideline to follow daily it helps keep you flowing; and most times inspiration comes calling while you are doing the write-up. It is a well known facts that writers in the past have a rule of tomb that they keep for their writings not to stop.

• Avatar Image Uche said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

I think we’re all thinking along the same line.

• Avatar Image Elly Turtoe said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Instead of waiting for inspiration, free writing is advisable and you will be suprised at what you will churn out. But its not easy to settle down for the task and i have heard routine writing is good medicine for writers.

• Afronuts said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

I agree with Elly. Freewriting is not a bad idea. Besides you can end up building something that will become a big story sometimes. Its this approach of wanting to just write about anything that’s helped me develop a mind for quick inspiration. Look at anything around you and try thinking of a story round it, you’ll be surprised how far your mind can go if you let it wander. Everywhere around you there are things you can deliberately use to generate inspiration instead of waiting for it - it might be the cup on your table, the pen in your hand, the color of your friends eyes, what you see on the news, the rat you killed last night, a rumour going on in your neighbourhood, a what-if situation…its endless.

Now you see why I say everything around you has a story to tell?

• Avatar Image Uche said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

@Afronuts, you’re so right.

• Lade said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

You are right, Afronuts, everything around us has a story to tell.
    I wrote ABYSS when i sat beside a girl who looks so much like me, on a flight and i started thinking of identity theft.
    THE TAXI DRIVER was concieved coming home late from work one night. In the cab on that dark lonely road, i thought ‘what horror can happen at this time?’.
    If we allow our minds to wander, the things it will return with . . . .

• Jaywriter said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Beginning to really Lade’s a real artist. Not just a talented one but the kinda ones that really rock. James Blunt might just wanna meet you.

I love you Lade.

• Avatar Image ce ug said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Writing without inspiration is possible but is usually less enjoyable. But really that applies to almost everything in life doesn’t it? Everyone prefers to do what they WANT to do not what they HAVE to. So if writing is your profession, as in your day job- sometimes u just have to handcuff that muse and torture it till it does your bidding.

*Meanwhile, I haven’t visited this group in ages, am I missing something or is this how we declare love at random? Or is this an off-shoot of Lade’s ‘i love u’ post?

• Avatar Image ce ug said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Jaywriter- In case u missed it, you’re the one that’s got me puzzled. Do enlighten. :)

Well, you’ve missed a lot. Lotta inspiration has been going on around here. The love was inspired in my dreams. Hope you get it now?

Members

• registered 5 hours, 32 minutes ago
  • Member avatar
    registered 1 day, 6 hours ago
  • registered 3 days, 14 hours ago
  • registered 4 days, 4 hours ago
  • Member avatar
    registered 4 days, 13 hours ago

Archives

Site Rating

Average blog rating: