Fagunwa Day Holds Next Week Thursday
On the 6th of March 2014, the Amphi-theatre (the former house of the Nobel Leaurete, Prof. Wole Soyinka) University of Ibadan will accommodate secondary school students selected from different schools in Oyo State who will be participating in the readings of the Late D.O. Fagunwa Five Books – Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irunmole, Igbo Olodumare, Ireke Onibudo, Irinkerindo Ninu Igbo Elegbeje, Adiitu Olodumare.
The aims and objectives of the programme are as follows
- To encourage writing and reading in Yoruba Language among some selected secondary schools in the state.
- To promote Yoruba culture, literature, traditions and values.
- To give out award and reward young writers who are making use of their indigenous languages to write.
- To appreciate the talents and works of writers who are using Yoruba Language to write.
- To encourage upcoming and talented young writers in southwest on the use of their beautiful language in passing across useful and educative information across the globe.
Also outstanding schools and students will be recognized by presenting them prizes and certificates in the ongoing Fagunwa Literature Prize organized for some selected secondary schools in the state. The prize was established in order to test the writing and reading abilty of the students in Yoruba language. Important dignitaries expected to grace the occasion are: Dcn. Samson Olalere – Adviser – Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (South West CNPP), Mr. B.A. Salawu – Head of Board – National Library of Nigeria, Mr. Ogunwale Joseph Idowu of Yoruba Academy and Mr. BusariAgbolade – Director A & A Arts