If you are a young Nigerian between the ages of 11 and 21 and believe you can write children’s literature, what are you waiting for? Participate in our 2013 competition for young writers like YOU! What you stand to gain? ————->>>>>PUBLICATION.
Entries are invited for the 2013 annual competition organized by the Splendid Literature & Culture Foundation to select and publish the best six (6) unpublished stories by Nigerian writers of children’s literature aged 11-21 years, resident in Nigeria. Entries are invited from all over the country. Submitted stories should entertain and enlighten, with strong Nigerian/African content. The Foundation’s judges will assess each entry on the depth, originality and quality of the writing and the story’s appeal to its intended audience. Above all, these stories are to stimulate the imagination of the readers to think and problem-solve in novel ways.
Rules and Conditions of Entry
All entries must be original, unpublished stories in English. Plays and poems are not eligible.
Entrants are not expected to illustrate their stories unless they wish to do so. This will not affect the assessment.
Entries must fall within one of the following two categories:
An original unpublished story in English for children between the ages of 8 – 12
Length: Up to 3,000 words
An original unpublished story in English for young adults between the ages of 13 and 17
Length: Up to 6,000 words
The best three stories from each category will be selected for publication by the Foundation’s Panel of Judges.
The usual royalty and publication terms will apply to every story published by the Foundation. The publishers reserve the customary rights regarding all publishing decisions.
The copyright of each entry will remain vested in the author, unless otherwise agreed in writing between the entrant and the Foundation.
1. Submissions should be typewritten or legibly handwritten, double spaced on numbered pages. Entries submitted online should be in clear and legible fonts. Illegible entries will be disqualified.
2. Include a passport photograph, name, residential address, phone number and email address on the title page of the manuscript, with only the full name of entrant on each numbered page of the submission.
3. Entries must be submitted under the entrant’s real name. Pseudonyms are not permitted.
4. Not more than one entry per entrant will be accepted.
5. For online submission, ensure that you attach your entry and e-mail it to email@example.com.
Submit six (6) copies of the entry manuscript to Splendid Literature & Culture Foundation:
31, Alhaji Tokan Street, Alaka Estate, Surulere, Lagos or P.O Box 7328, GPO, Lagos.
6. Submissions should be accompanied by evidence of Nigerian citizenship (photocopied/scanned copy of birth certificate, Nigerian passport or Nigerian ID Card).
7. The closing date for all entries is August, 31 2013.
Any entry that fails to meet one or more of the conditions above (including the deadline) will be disqualified.
Members and employees of the Splendid Literature & Culture Foundation are not eligible.
For details, visit our website: http://www.splendidfoundation.com
Be your sister or brother’s keeper, SHARE!