Profile picture of Onyeka Dike
Profile picture of Seun-Odukoya
Profile picture of Myne Whitman
Profile picture of Admin
Profile picture of tora
Profile picture of kaycee
Profile picture of gooseberry
Profile picture of tomi

Tips to help you use the site (19 posts)

Topic tags: bold, formatting, italic, links, quotes, tips
  • Profile picture of Admin Admin said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I will be posting tips from time to time on this thread to help you get more out of your use of the site. If you have any questions on any of the tips posted, please let us know.

Tip 1: How to include formatting in your comments, forum posts, group posts and updates.

The Naija Stories interface allows you to make contributions (i.e. stories, poems, reviews) which are formatted so that you can have bold or italicised text in your stories.

Unfortunately, the interface does not easily let you do this when you are making comments, forum posts or group posts.

The good news is that it is still possible to do this. Here is how:

—-

- If you wish to make some text bold, simply add <b> and </b> before and after it. For example, if you want to have something like this:

I really like Naija Stories

then type this:

I really <b>like</b> Naija Stories.

—-

- If you wish to make some text italicised, simply add <i> and </i> before and after it. For example, if you want to have something like this:

I really like Naija Stories

then type this:

I really <i>like</i> Naija Stories.

—-

- If you wish to make some text quoted, simply add <blockquote> and </blockquote> before and after it. For example, if you want to have something like this:

Do you like Naija Stories?

Yes I do!

then type this:

<blockquote>Do you like Naija Stories?</blockquote>
    Yes I do!

—-

- Lastly, if you want to add a link to a document, you can do so by using the <a href=”" > and </a> tags. For example, if you want a link to Naija Stories, like this:

My Link

then type this:

<a href=”http://www.naijastories.com”>My Link</a>

• abby said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thanks Admin, I really appreciate this.

• Profile picture of Afronuts Afronuts said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Ha! I’ve been wanting to know this!

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Tip 2: Adding pictures to your posts

If you wish to add pictures to your contribution, there is a button that will enable you to do this - this is the button highlighted in red in the toolbar above the text area that you enter your contributions.

If you move your mouse over the other buttons in the toolbar, you can see what they do. You may wish to experiment with these other buttons to become familiar with them.

• Profile picture of Seun-Odukoya Seun-Odukoya said 1 year, 4 months ago:

THanks ADMIN…YOU DO YOUR JOB WELL WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously…thanks.

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Tip 3: Login names, Profile names and Member pages

There are typically 2 names that you’ll use on the site.

Login name

The first name is your login name. This is the name that you use when you log in to Naija Stories. It is also the name that people can use with the @ sign if they want to ‘mention’ you in their posts or comments. If you add the @ sign in front of the name, it will automatically generate a link that, when clicked, will take you to the person’s profile page.

Note that you cannot change your login name, and you will need to contact the Admin if you want to get this changed; however, this is something that will only be done at the Admin’s discretion.

Profile Name

The second name is your profile name. This is a kind of ‘friendly name’ that people will see on your profile page. They will also see this name when you make contributions, comments or forum posts on the site, if you have chosen this as the name to use in your profile.

You can change your profile so that it is displayed against your contributions, comments and posts as follows:

- Navigate to http://www.naijastories.com/wp-admin/profile.php, and log in if necessary using your username/password. This should take you to your user profile page. The images below provide more information about what other fields are on the page and what to enter to change your profile name.

Typically, you will see your login name and your profile name on your member page.

To get to your member page, do the following:

- Look at the profile menu bar at the top of the page.

If the profile menu bar is like this, with a ‘Log In’ link:

then it means you are not logged in. Click on the ‘Log In’ link to take you to the Login page:

Once on the login page, enter your username and password, and from there, you will be returned to Naija Stories pages.

Now that you are logged in, the profile menu bar should now look like this, with a ‘My Account’ item:

Click on the ‘My Account’ link - this will take you to your member page. This is a page from which you can do a variety of things, as you can see from the page below.

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Tip 4: Creating groups and forum topics.

You can participate in Naija Stories by creating groups, joining groups, creating forum topics in groups you have joined, and posting to those topics.

To create a group, do the following:

1. Ensure that you are logged in by looking at the profile menu bar at the top of the page.

If the profile menu bar is like this, with a ‘Log In’ link:

then it means you are not logged in. Click on the ‘Log In’ link to take you to the Login page:

Once on the login page, enter your username and password, and from there, you will be returned to Naija Stories pages.

2.Hover over the ‘Community’ menu item in the navigation bar, then click on the ‘Groups’ menu item (see image below).

This will take you to the Groups Directory, in which you’ll see a ‘Create a Group’ button at the top of the page, next to the ‘Groups Directory’ label.

3. Click on this button to go to the first page in the process of creating your group.

4. Fill in the appropriate fields in the form on the page and click the ‘Create Group and Continue’ button. Then complete the other steps, filling in the form fields as appropriate.

To join a group, do the following:

1.Navigate to the Groups Directory page, as described in steps 1 and 2 above on creating a new group.

2. Scroll down the Groups Directory page. You should see a ‘Join Group’ or ‘Request Membership’ button next to each group.

If you see a group you are interested in joining, click the ‘Join Group’ or ‘Request Membership’ button next to it. You will become a member of the group if it is a public group. If it is a private group, you may have to wait for approval from the group admin.

To create a new forum topic and post in it, do the following:

1. Ensure that you are logged in as described in step 1 of the instructions above to create a new group.

2. Ensure that you have joined the group whose forum you want to create the new topic in, as described above.

3.Hover over the ‘Community’ menu item in the navigation bar, then click on the ‘Forums’ menu item (see image below).

This will take you to the Forums Directory page, in which you’ll see a ‘New Topic’ button at the top of the page, next to the ‘Forums Directory’ label.

4. Click on this button - it should cause you to scroll down to a ‘New Topic’ form. If nothing happens, it may be because you have not yet joined a group. Scroll down to find out.

5. Fill in the appropriate fields in the form and click the ‘Post Topic’ button to create your topic with its first post. Your new topic should now be listed in the Forums Directory page that you first visited in step 3.

6. To add more posts to a topic, click on the topic link in the Forums Directory page.

This should take you to all the posts in the topic.

7. Scroll all the way to the very last post in the topic - you may need to go through several pages to do this. After the last post, you should see a form that lets you make a new post.

Fill the form in and click the ‘Post Reply’ button to add your post.

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Tip 5: Submitting a new contribution

If you want to submit a contribution or post, which could be a story, a poem, an article or a musing, do the following:

1. Click on the ‘Dashboard’ item in the grey menu bar, then click on ‘New Post’ (see picture below):

This will take you to the ‘New Post’ page.

2. In the ‘New Post’ page, ensure that you read the instructions in red (labelled in picture 1 below) and make sure that your story conforms to the site guidelines.

Picture 1

3. Enter a title in the title field, and enter your story, poem, musing, etc. in the content field below it. (these are both labelled in the picture above)

4. Select a category for your post (see item labelled 1 in picture 2 below); do not select ‘Uncategorized’. You may tag the story with descriptive tags to help people find it (see item labelled 2).

Picture 2

5. After categorising and tagging your story, you may click ‘Save Draft’ if you don’t think your story is quite ready for publishing, and you want to return to it (see item labelled 3 in picture 2 above). However, if you are satisfied with your work, then click ‘Submit for Review’ (see item labelled 4), and your story will be submitted to a queue to be published by an editor.

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Tip 6: Limiting notifications from groups

Sometimes, after subscribing to a group, you may receive more notifications than you want. If you wish to limit the notifications you receive, ensure that you do the following:

Change your group notification settings by doing the following: [a] Hover your mouse over the ‘My Account’ menu item in the grey menu bar at the top of the page - this will cause a menu to drop down. [b] Hover your mouse over the ‘Groups’ menu item in the menu that drops down - this will cause a menu to fly out. [c] Click on the ‘My Groups’ item in the menu that flies out - this will take you to a page with a list of groups you belong do. [d] Go to the group that you are getting notifications for, and ensure that the notification setting is set appropriately; you will see the setting to the right of the listing, and there should be a link that you can click on to change the notification setting. (The setting will either be ‘No Email’, ‘Daily Digest’, ‘Weekly Summary’, ‘New Topics’ or ‘All Email’.)

If that has no effect, you can try this below:

Change your general notification settings by doing the following: [a] Hover your mouse over the ‘My Account’ menu item in the grey menu bar at the top of the page - this will cause a menu to drop down. [b] Hover your mouse over the ‘Settings’ menu item in the menu that drops down - this will cause a menu to fly out. [c] Click on the ‘Notifications’ item in the menu that flies out - this will take you to a page from where you can change your notification settings. Specifically, you need to go to the ‘Group’ and ‘Group Forum’ section and look at the settings there.

• Profile picture of Seun-Odukoya Seun-Odukoya said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Em Admin…not to sound funny or ignorant o…but is it possible to buy a handout/textbook? Reading this from my phone is making me dizzy…..

• Profile picture of uchechukwu obiakor uchechukwu obiakor said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

hmmmm@seun

Wetin happen? The thing no resemble tutorial for ya eye?

Lol.

• Profile picture of uchechukwu obiakor uchechukwu obiakor said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

i just smell am with my nose

• Profile picture of Raymond Raymond said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Didn’t even know this was here…Thanks.

Smell words. You do well.

i dey even chop words.lol@seun

Okay. When you get literary Bullimia…no talk o!

• Profile picture of Admin Admin said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Tip 7: Changing your avatar

If you do not like the avatar generated for you at the time of registration and you want one that better reflects your personality, this is how to do it:

1. Hover your mouse over the ‘My Account’ menu item in the grey menu bar at the top of the page – this will cause a menu to drop down.

2. Hover your mouse over the ‘Profile’ menu item in the menu that drops down – this will cause a menu to fly out.

3. Click on the ‘Change Avatar’ item in the menu that flies out – this will take you to a page from where you can change your avatar.

4. Ensure that you have saved the image that you want to use for your avatar to you computer. Also (and this is very important), ensure that the size of the image you want to use for your avatar is less than 100kb, and the dimensions are less than 400 by 300 pixels. If your image is too big, you will have problems in the next steps.

5. Click on the ‘Browse’ button on the page, browse to the location that your image is saved on your computer, and select it. Once you have done this, you will see the name of the file appear in the edit field to the left of the ‘Browse’ button.

6. Click on the ‘Upload Image’ button to upload the file on your computer to Naija Stories. After you have done this, you will see your image appear on the page, with a portion of it selected in a selecting square. The portion in the selecting square will be ‘lighter’ than the unselected portion. The selecting square will also have eight small black squares around it, four on the corners of the selecting square, and four on the edges.

7. Move the selecting square around to choose which part of your uploaded image will be your avatar, and resize the square by clicking and dragging on the small black squares.

8. Once you have selected what part of your image will be your avatar, click ‘Crop Image’… and that’s it.

• tamie said 3 days, 21 hours ago:

phew some text book this is!

Your Ad Here

Members Scoreboard

• Seun-Odukoya (45964pts)
  • raymond (42115pts)
  • scopeman60 (30162pts)
  • kaycee (26827pts)
  • xikay (22003pts)
  • julemyles (20927pts)
  • Anderson-paul (20683pts)
  • jaywriter (19727pts)