Entries are hereby invited for the 2014 edition of Naija Writers’ Coach Annual Essay Competition. The contest is a national platform for Nigerians to express their opinions on pressing national issues, and advance workable and sustainable solutions to them.
Last year, eligibility for the competition was restricted to undergraduates and 117 students from 22 tertiary institutions put in for it.
This year, the contest is bigger and the prizes heftier. Every Nigerian between the ages of 18 and 40 is eligible to enter, irrespective of level of education.
National Conference: a Waste, a Progression or What?
Monday 26th May, 2014
- The sum of N30,000, N20,000 and N10,000 would be awarded to the first, second and third prize winners respectively.
- The writers of the 10 best entries would each receive a full-fledged website worth over N20,000 to further hone their writing skills and promote their works
- The writers of the 10 best entries would each receive a Facebook ad credit worth N8,000.
- The writers of the 10 best entries would each receive a copy of the book, “Vertical Writing” by award-winning essayist, Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin, sold for N1,000.
- The competition is free to enter. No entry fee is required.
- Grading of entries would be solely on merit and winners would be announced in June 2014.
- Each entry must be an essay. Poems, short stories, fictions, etc. are not acceptable.
- Each entry must be between 500 and 700 words.
- Each entry must be typed in Times New Roman, font size 12 and double line spacing.
- No co-authored work would be accepted.
- Each entry must be titled using the format: “Full name NWC 2014”. So an entrant named “Yakubu Adisa Okechukwu” would title his entry as “Yakubu Adisa Okechukwu NWC 2014.”
- No personal information like names and emails should appear in the body of the essay. Instead, the submission form will capture entrants’ personal details.
- Only Nigerians aged 18-40 are eligible to enter (if you emerge a winner, evidence of age may be required).
- Submissions should be made online here. Submissions made by email would NOT be accepted.
- Each entrant must reference non-original materials appropriately and ensure that his/her essay is free from plagiarism.
- Each of these rules is sacrosanct. Defaulting entries would be disqualified.
Panel of Judges
The distinguished panel of judges comprises:
#Dr. Mahfouz Adedimeji (Ag. Director, Center for Peace and Strategic Studies, University of Ilorin and Columnist, Daily Newswatch Newspaper)
#Temitayo Olofinlua (Award winning essayist and Creative Director, Wordsmithy Media)
#Abdul Abdullateef (Award winning essayist and Blogger)
Have you got a query? Please send your questions online here (don’t send your questions by email; no one would read them if you do).
So start writing … you could be one of the 10 smart winners the world is waiting to see.